What OS (BSD or Linux) are you currently running?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by lrcaballero, Apr 24, 2013.

1. lrcaballero

lrcaballero Member

Why don't we start breaking the ice a little bit here at d_BSD forums...

In the Linux family: I started with Ubuntu back in 2009, LinuxMint, Debian, OpenSolaris (my favorite of all time), Crunchbang, Archbang! since 2011..this OS means a lot to me and really enjoyed and learned the ARCH way...excellent distro. And lastly Manjaro Openbox (another Arch base distro) very well polished distro for such little time in the Linux Community enjoying it very much!

In the BSD's family: GhostBSD, PC-BSD, Next DesktopBSD.....also will like to try OpenBSD in a near future and build from scratch with Openbox.

Tell us about your experience through the Unix | Linux community....

Cheers, ;)

2. conta

conta Active Member

Debian Sid

3. AnbuBlack

AnbuBlack New Member

I've started with RH 7.3 (2002) -> RH9-> Slackware (2003) -> FreeBSD 5.4 (2005)-> DesktopBSD (2007) -> Slackware (2009) -> FreeBSD (2011)-> till now in paralel with Arch GNU/Linux.

4. Ken DiPietro

Ken DiPietro New Member

I am currently running Linux Mint 15 (Olivia) which I am moderately happy with.

Back in 2004 I formatted my primary Windows work system and installed Fedora Core 3. A little later, I opted to go with DesktopBSD and used it for roughly a year and an half as my only OS.

This project is well timed as a lot of people are now looking for a secure OS. However, if we really want to present this OS in the most desirable light, we are going to have to support Steam natively.

5. EchoD

EchoD Administrator
    Staff Member

Steam is migrating to its own dedicated OS anyway, so that's that.

6. Ken DiPietro

Ken DiPietro New Member

And as with any OS there will be people who will love it and those who it won't resonate with. My point is that if we want to appeal to the widest range of users, we need to make sure we natively support gaming, specifically Steam flawlessly.

7. Katlin MetaData

I am currently runing Linux Mint 17. Linux distros I have used:fendora, linux mint, ubuntu, ubuntu kylin, kubuntu, lubuntu, zubuntu, auura, easypeasy, debian, solid k, zorin, mangaro, pearos, elementeryos, to name a few.

BSD's:GhostBSD, PC-BSD, Debian/kfreebsd, midnightbsd, and desktopbsd.

8. johnj

johnj New Member

I've used many Linuxes and BSDs since 2004(ish). DesktopBSD was my fav though and I'm excited that it's being renewed.

Presently, I'm running CrunchBang on my laptop and I'm going to try VSidO on an old desktop.

I hope DesktopBSD will come with a choice of desktop/window manager environments available from the login screen.

I find KDE to be really heavy lifting for many older computers.

9. Dr Dreyeth

Dr Dreyeth New Member

I started with Kubuntu Linux, and then tested almost every distro there is, I ended up
    settling on Manjaro Linux, I switched to Awesome Window Mananger and I've been using it ever since, I dislike ALSA though thinking it requires a PHD in audio to actually configure, I have a lot of fond memories
    of running OSSv4 in Ubuntu derivatives though, so I want to give BSD a test drive to see
    if it brings audio sanity, and maybe fewer layers getting in the way of learning subsystems.
    I prefer a system with extensive and accurate documentation.

My experience with KDE is that it is heavier (not much so in recent releases) but has gotten lighter as it has moved on.

OpenSUSE ships a release of KDE that only uses 300mbs of ram though for a 64bit edition, which is lighter then my linux distros release of XFCE by 50mbs.

They've done things recently to reduce the memory footprint, after that my experience
    is that it depends on what you turn on, if you leave it vanilla its not so bad.

I say that but I admit I'm no longer using KDE, I've switched to doing my own awesome
    deskop layout and I'm enjoying how light weight it is, using less then 60-80mbs for a 32bit edition, and just over 200mbs for a 64bit of linux.

KDE has a really complete and polished desktop experience and its a great choice for a default desktop enviroment, Though I appreciate that PC-BSD has the option to install quite a few window managers instead.

I detest the default GTK save file dialog and consider it one of the worst atrocities that has been inflicted our desktops, there are many conditions that afflict it that make it so you can't even create a new folder or save a file name, and I prefer dialogs that let you delete items with a right click menu.

#9 Dr Dreyeth, Nov 4, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
  10. Angelescu Ovidiu

Angelescu Ovidiu Team Member

Hello.
    Now I use:
    Siduction (debian sid based distro).
    FreeBSD

I have started many years ago with Redhat 5.0.
    Also used my own FreeBSD iso (RoFreeSBIE).

Greetings
    Ovidiu

11. EchoD

EchoD Administrator
    Staff Member

@asxbsd Great to have you here, welcome!

12. SoloBSD

SoloBSD Member

Hi

I'm currently running OpenSUSE and have virtual machines running HardenedBSD and PC-BSD

13. NolanLow

NolanLow New Member

I'm also on the OpenSUSE at the moment and I'm loving it. I only got it to play around with it for a bit but I'm going to keep it for a while on one of my machines.

14. Johnpaul

Johnpaul New Member

Windows > Raspbian > Ubuntu > Fedora

I am not a fedora person, and am thinking of switching to *BSD.