Welcome to DesktopBSD Forums

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by EchoD, Mar 10, 2013.

1. EchoD

EchoD Administrator
    Staff Member

The DesktopBSD project is in the process of being revived. If you have access to the old site or forum database, please PM me so we can fill in the gaps.

If you would like to volunteer and help with development and rebuilding the site, please post in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

2. AnbuBlack

AnbuBlack New Member

It's good that DesktopBSD is back in business, it was my first *BSD "distribution". I'm waiting to see the new OS version. Good luck guys.

3. Cthulhux

Cthulhux New Member

Uhm, obviously you have the forum permissions not set correctly yet. I can't create new topics in "General Questions", for example.

So I'll just answer here:

Welcome back, DesktopBSD team! I (as a volunteer FreeBSD porter and promoter) am glad to see that BSD is alive and kicking on the desktop as well. But DesktopBSD has never really reached my scope; how does this one (plan to) be different from PC-BSD which already has a pretty neat desktop experience with KDE out of the box? :)

Regards.

4. conta

conta Active Member

what do you mean? anyway, this is amazing news!!!

5. rich4421972

rich4421972 New Member

This is up to the developers, but dBSD used to ba a FreeBSD compatible OS. Unfortunately, the way that PC-BSD is set up, one could break one's system through the installation of one or more ports or binary packages. A user must only install FreeBSD software within a jail. DesktopBSD, being compatible with FreeBSD (in the past) will not be compatible with PC-BSD.

If dBSD wanted to ally with one particular flavor, I would suggest Ghost BSD instead. Ghost is completely compatible with FreeBSD with the addition of a graphical ports manager and a python installation script.

6. Cthulhux

Cthulhux New Member

Ah, I see. Thanks for clarifying that.

7. stan-sib

stan-sib Well-Known Member

On the DistroWatch.com site in the page of desktopBSD project, still not working links to home page and forums, and the project described as discontinued. Why the status not changed still?

8. EchoD

EchoD Administrator
    Staff Member

DistroWatch is a private site and we don't have control over their listings.

9. Cthulhux

Cthulhux New Member

10. Haghiri75

Haghiri75 Member

@EchoD , you should send an email to distro@distrowatch.com and send this topic link to them. and wait for corrections :)

11. Dr Dreyeth

Dr Dreyeth New Member

Welcome back, its great to see more variety, and with how linux is going down
    the more layers means more awesome route (go watch invader zim - dark harvest).

I'm looking forward to giving it a test run, but I'm using graphics that uses KMS and
    the console explodes when switching to it, I will probable wait until your basing off
    of something that has newcons in the default install, since all my desktops use
    the same graphics. =/

I only found out about desktopbsd after the project had stalled, so its good to see
    your back.

I want to get some experience with the BSDs and Its been fun checking out all the BSD projects

#11 Dr Dreyeth, Nov 4, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
  12. Paschalis Sposito

Paschalis Sposito New Member

Hello to all.. I am an old Unix user from the 1985.... DesktopBSD 1.7 was lovely.. Stable, easy and of course light and fast... Is there any feedback regarding the release scheduled date of DesktopBSD 2.0?