Using Android as a desktop operating system

Discussion in 'Linux Forum' started by Vasiliy, May 22, 2013.

1. Vasiliy

Vasiliy Member

Anyone have experience in installing either vanilla android or a custom distro on a x64 desktop system? How is the driver support for the most popular hardware?

More generally, how does Android fare as an operating system on a PC without touch hardware? I'm not talking about specific app support but day to day things like browsing the web, email, etc.

I basically look at Android as Linux with a lot of legacy stuff stripped out with a familiar interface to most people, so if I could install it on a couple of family computers for quick email checking, Facebook, etc, it would be great for guests too.

2. conta

conta Active Member

I don't see reason why to install android on PC. Seems like making stuff harder way, without any reason

If you wanna familiar environment for people, just make one and only icon for browser, or use some boot-to-browser distro

3. stan-sib

stan-sib Well-Known Member

4. Katlin MetaData

only Android X86 is active. I used to run android 4.4 on my laptop and I run it in VB on the new one as my laptop's Video drivers don't work on it. They have prealpha builds for Lolipop aka 5.0 right now, how ever most people can't get past the install process as it needs a data plan and there is an issue with android seeing wired connections in VB, in the past it would work on the wired but it would not see it. I don't have much money so I just got a 100 USD phone from iwireless and it had android 4.0 witch is crap now and unsecure like shit. Not only that android 4 comits suicide after a month. Usaly it happens when I update the phone, but last time it just wound not turn on after and update, and it was not a system update just the normal app updates, THAT WAS THE SECOND PHONE FROM THEM THAT DIED BY SOFTWARE. So don't buy android phones from iwireless as they will break.