So What do you think of reactos, Haiku, or helen os?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Katlin MetaData, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Katlin MetaData

I personaly like Reactos the issue for me is that for some god unknown reason is it does not detect this new PC's networking card. It did on my first laptop so testing the new builds is impossible, how ever Haiku runs just fine and I can't wait until Alpha 5 comes out witch will have HTML 5 support and a new package system like the BSD's and Linux does as well as a new package extesion for haiku progams and still being able to use the old beos style applications that go in the apps folder like on OSX, and the installoptionpackage "hack" how ever be carefull as on some systems you want to avoid the ffmpeg and other sound stuff as it can mess up haiku's native sound support. Also have any of you tired Helen OS?

2. Mutt65

Mutt65 Member

After reading multiple posts by Katlin MetaData, I have to respond to this last post: ReatOS has been in "development" for years....and yes, I'm talking many plurals here. Haiku is a beautiful up and coming distro, but still in alpha - the developers are quite specific as to wants and needs, but their alpha is better than most Linux betas. And HelenOS is more like Minix, an educational OS, like NetBSD. If you ever used the original DesktopBSD years ago when it was maintained by Peter, you'd better understand why such great potential for this OS exists; he had it all right, just not at the right time for him to maintain. We're trying to re-establish this OS and give it the potential it once had. If you don't like it, that's fine, just try not to question the dev team members about their motives and "what else is out there". We all know what's available; that's the reason we're taking our time to do it correctly: write once > execute.

3. stan-sib

stan-sib Well-Known Member

reactos has not future, because they developing it 20 years without any result.

#3 stan-sib, Feb 15, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2016