OpenRC

Discussion in 'Development' started by KyBlackwolf, Nov 28, 2015.

1. KyBlackwolf

KyBlackwolf Member

I was looking at a lot of launchd forums, and also stumbled on something else that is already finished and working for a fast boot and funtionality similar to launchd. The best part is, supposedly it's already ready to go with FreeBSD. Please check out OpenRC and let me know what you think...I'm still trying to figure out how to play with it myself, however, I have seen a video of a fast boot for GentooBSD that worked nicely, and from what I can tell the customization it would allow for without a complete overhaul of our rc codes and such, it might be an alternative until the bugs in lauchd that seem to presenting themselves regarding the automaic fsck and such can be resolved. I think it would be almost a drop in replacement we could run for example as M2 B edition...M2 A edition being a continuation of LaunchD.

2. malco_2001

malco_2001 DesktopBSD Veteran

OpenRC is a good alternative. It uses GPL licensing. It may be a more complete solution at this point for rc replacement. Should we try it out for M2?

#2 malco_2001, Nov 28, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
  3. KyBlackwolf

KyBlackwolf Member

OpenRC is currently licensed under the BSD liscense. We could contact the gentoo bsd team as they already have it working on freebsd. Or we could stumble thru it ourselves. At one point, in the mailing lists, i found an offer from the project leader offering to collaborate and they would basically maintain the OpenRC side of things for freebsd. Unfortunately, it went over like a rock with a muffled "thud". Should we revisit this? I think we need to set up a time to all meet if possible in IRC to discuss what direction we want to focus on from here. I'm not 100% sure we are ready to abandon gnom3 yet as I know you've put a lot of time into it malco.

Other than OpenRC, we could also consider daemon tools... though I'm not nearly as read up on it as I am now on OpenRC.

4. malco_2001

This is awesome, and I'm glad to be wrong. It is BSD licensed! I could have sworn the last I checked it was GPL. Maybe this was recently changed? Has it always been?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenRC

I will generate a new image for testing with OpenRC. An IRC meetup would be nice if you can catch me when I am on. I can't really commit to anything right now otherwise. This is just the worst time of year. Do you have time to hop on #DesktopBSD tonight for a quick chat?

5. KyBlackwolf

KyBlackwolf Member

Let me see what I can do my friend. And yes, it's been BSD licensed since at least 2012 from what I can tell...basically from the birth of the GentooBSD project.

6. EchoD

EchoD Administrator
    Staff Member

Hey all, I'm back from my vacation. Did you guys end up having the IRC meetup?

7. malco_2001

Yeah. We are privately testing OpenRC at this phase as a result. Not much to report at this time.

8. KyBlackwolf

KyBlackwolf Member

I got a report...lol, do not try and run virtual box using 16 gb of RAM and OpenRC... LOL... screwed up that box good... hahahaha not sure what the heck happened, and managed to corrupt the image to where I gotta delete it and rebuild from base freebsd...

Malco what kinda system are you using there to test?

9. malco_2001

I've just been using a VirtualBox VM with 2 CPU's, and 2GB of ram. The dual core makes a difference on AMD64 releases. My laptop has an i7 8 core with 8GB of ram, and an SSD.

10. KyBlackwolf

KyBlackwolf Member

wish i knew u had that laptop, i just parted with 16 gb of laptop ram i couldnt use... would have given it to you

11. KyBlackwolf

KyBlackwolf Member

well im glad you have the i7... we can cover any cpu specific issues this way since we have "compareable" chips... yeah yeah... i know, you're benchmarks faster... :(