Official DesktopBSD site

Discussion in 'Forum Related' started by stan-sib, Apr 25, 2013.

1. stan-sib

stan-sib Well-Known Member

It will be great if Official DesktopBSD site looks like site of LINUX-MINT. Very good design and content.

2. EchoD

EchoD Administrator
    Staff Member

Do you want to volunteer as a webmaster? :)

3. stan-sib

I do not have much experience in Webmastering, but I can translate into Lithuanian and Russian languages​​.

4. Haghiri75

Haghiri75 Member

5. EchoD

EchoD Administrator
    Staff Member

The problem is we need to recreate the site's original URL structure (you can see it at http://web.archive.org), and it was created using a CMS that we don't have a database backup for.

6. conta

conta Active Member

why *need* ?

7. EchoD

EchoD Administrator
    Staff Member

Because those subpages are linked by a lot of external sites, which is resulting in a lot of 404 errors. It would be preferred to place things where they were before.

8. conta

conta Active Member

I was thinking: some distros have docs on iso - copy of website with documentation. How about dBSD?

9. stan-sib

10. anarcotux

anarcotux New Member

what's happened to desktopbsd website? i'm a new on desktopbsd (but old on other bsd systems...) and i see that only the website's homepage works... what's happened? how can i download the desktopbsd iso? where is the download page?

11. conta

conta Active Member

I think it is not problem.

1. You can create own 404 page saying that page has changed and redirect people to main website.
    2. A lot of projects out there have broken links and no one really cares. If you wanna find something, you will find it.

Now it seems that all DeskopBSD project is halted because of "website" problem that's not really a problem. And that seems ridiculous for OS project.

12. anarcotux

anarcotux New Member

sure the site is not important ... but where are the iso?? Where is the documentation? the project seems to be dead! :( :( :(

13. EchoD

EchoD Administrator
    Staff Member

Development will pick up when more developers volunteer.

14. conta

conta Active Member

I am really skeptic here. How many devs you have now? What are they working on?

You know, developers wont just go around and somehow starts to volunteer. You need (I mean people involved in this project, how many are there? ) to have infrastructure, clear aims, core people to manage process, propagation etc, etc... Getting domain means nothing.

Not sure what you did to propagate the effort. Did you go some conference to make people interested? Did you "spam" BSD mailing lists? Did you talk to developers of FreeBSD? Do you have clear aims what you wanna achieve?

Now it looks like this: there was announcement that "The DesktopBSD project is in the process of being revived. Visit the Forums to discuss." In forums you got eg. "Installation" subforum, so no surprise people going around and asking :where is iso??: . It seems that DBSD in under active development.

Is it?

If not why main page is not saying: we are looking for developers? Why there is not only the one forum for potential developers? It's too much early to let user ask about :Installation problems: when there is no ISO to install.

Just thinking. I might be wrong ;]

15. EchoD

EchoD Administrator
    Staff Member

The installation forums are there because they were always there. I have not removed any old forum sections. If people want to share their experiences or discuss issues, they can. Several sites have announced that we are looking for volunteers, both developers and project managers, and we have not seen much interest.

What would you prefer, to just kill this site? If the only "help" you can offer is to continue criticism, then I hate to break it to you, but it's not of any help at all.

16. conta

conta Active Member

I'm just saying how it looks. People usually figure out stuff before they do something. And we don't know whether you have figured it out, because we have no way of seeing it. We can only say what it seems to be like. And it's like I said in previous post.

If criticism wont help move stuff forward, then what would (generally speaking)? What is the problem with criticism? If people do not want to accept criticism of their work, they should not do what they do in the first place.

I believe my criticism is constructive, that's why I wrote what I wrote. If you think it is not help, then just ignore it. You seems to be leader of this OS now so it's up to you.

if you wont accept criticism, you will never be successful with this....

17. EchoD

EchoD Administrator
    Staff Member

You have done nothing but complain from the very day these forums went up. The forums are up for the benefits of existing users of the OS. Yes, I run the website, and the best I can do is to put up a "Help wanted" sign and notify a bunch of open source-related sites that we are looking for help. If you have nothing to offer here, then go complain elsewhere.

18. conta

conta Active Member

I would appreciate if you could show me where I did it. Because I feel offended (and by that I mean that your statement is false).

search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&author_id=60&start=20 => those are all my posts from begging.

Thanks.

19. EchoD

EchoD Administrator
    Staff Member

I must have gotten you mixed up with someone else, and I apologize. The other points still stand.

20. anarcotux

anarcotux New Member

I don'tt want to criticize anyone... I just hope that the project takes life again! I found the iso on a very old and slow server, it took 16 hours to download DesktopBSD 1.7 i386 ... :( :( :(