Offer to help

Discussion in 'Development' started by malco_2001, Sep 15, 2015.

1. malco_2001

malco_2001 DesktopBSD Veteran

I have the experience to build an ISO. What are the goals of the project? Is anyone in charge? Who decides things?

#1 malco_2001, Sep 15, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
  2. EchoD

EchoD Administrator
    Staff Member

We have had several people who volunteer to lead the project, but everybody just offers and disappears after a few days. We need a project manager to lead the development.

#2 EchoD, Sep 20, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
  3. KyBlackwolf

KyBlackwolf Member

Many developers lurk in the shadows...it's no fun to carry the weight of the world on ones shoulders when a team can support much more, and each other in the process.

EchoD likes this.
  4. oddman621

oddman621 New Member

I'm still interested in this project, still want to help this project. I asked how may I can help many times. But you answered the same. "We can't continue this, there's no kernel developer." So I thought the project is paused. No news(until the roadmap is announced). I've waited. And now you say like this.

I'm not disappeared.

#4 oddman621, Oct 19, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
  5. malco_2001

6. dinsdale

dinsdale Member

Okay, so what's the best way to go about building this? I was thinking on creating a virtualbox with a base freebsd image, then getting DBSD sources from github. I would then build and install the kernel and world for an inside out replacement to DesktopBSD? are there special build instructions for the custom kernel?

7. malco_2001

I would use NextBSD for now. It's basically the same code base at this point, and they have an ISO that you can install from. We plan to have a VM soon.

In the future the best bet will be something like:

make buildworld buildkernel
    cd release
    make release (with special flags to build dekstopbsd)

Regrading the old desktopbsd-tools I've recently started converting much of it to QT4 so that I can in effect convert it to QT5. The tools do not build right now but I have been making some progress on that this week, and libdbsddisk now builds. You will at least need qt4-qmake installed if you want to help troubleshoot the build errors.

8. dinsdale

dinsdale Member

Okay. The NextBSD ISO I have is from a talk that Jordan and Matt made. There was a link in the presentation. It's a pretty old image at this point. I there something current kicking around?

Edit: I found this post on the NextBSD site:

http://nextbsd.org/clarifying-near-term-expectations/

There is a link to the ISO further down and also a link to the build servers. The my little pony easter egg is a nice touch is you visit the build server!

Matt recommends starting with a FreeBSD 10 base if building their sources. I'll try it both ways at some point.

#8 dinsdale, Oct 23, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
    malco_2001 likes this.
  9. malco_2001

I also had a good laugh when I saw the ponies. I figured out you can drag them around the screen as well. :)

Overall the NextBSD ISO's are pretty solid. We hope to have a more usable demo for the masses in short order. I've spurred some internal discussion with the other developers regrading the release building process. We should have some more precise instructions for everything soon. Right now we are kind of just getting off the ground as well.

Thanks for your feedback, and interest. Please stay tuned. :)