Help Needed

Discussion in 'Development' started by KyBlackwolf, Jan 10, 2016.

1. KyBlackwolf

KyBlackwolf Member

Working on a idea regarding auto-configuration... but I need people to a variety of dmesg reports. If anyone can provide them to me that would be great. Just do the folowing from terminal :

dmesg > temp.txt

then open temp.txt in any text editor...and cut and paste the contents to your response. Thanks in advance for anyone who chooses to provide this information..

To remove that temp file after you've cut and pasted it to the forum, just go back to the terminal and type :

rm temp.txt

Thanks in advance for anyone who chooses to provide this information..

2. malco_2001

malco_2001 DesktopBSD Veteran

3. malco_2001

malco_2001 DesktopBSD Veteran

The above example shows pciconf being used for hardware detection. Might be something to look at.

4. Angelescu Ovidiu

Angelescu Ovidiu Team Member

pciconf -lv provides a lot of information about hardware informations.
    It's very usefull also pciids file from pciids package.
    All pci id's are under /usr/local/share/pciids/pci.ids file.
    For nvidia cards it's in nvidia-driver-$version under docs a file with supported videocards for respective driver.
    Also for make a reliable auto-configuration kernel sources should be parsed to get supported pciids ( kernel modules for supported hardware).

My idea of a autoconfiguration tool consists in :
    a) parse kernel source for pciids and needed firmware for them
    b) populate a database with those ( pciids , firmware and kernel module for discovered pciid's in kernel src)
    c) parse pciconf -lv output to see computer's hardware and interogate database created at b for discovered pciids.
    d) if a occurence exists needed kernel module should be loaded.

The same algorithm should be applied for nvidia-drivers too but instead of parse kernel src should be parsed nvidia-driver-$version doc file.

Attached Files: