excited for a revival

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by paradive, Mar 26, 2013.

1. paradive

paradive New Member

when can we start expecting new releases?

2. conta

conta Active Member

this is question that every single developer hates

I am not developer of dBSD, but I can guess that answer is probably: when it's ready, then it's ready

3. stan-sib

stan-sib Well-Known Member

I hope that the second renewal of the project will be more successful than the first one was.

4. stan-sib

Hi all
    On the www.bsdstats.org shown 57 installed desktopBSD OS, but about 6 or 8 months ago was shown over 300. I surfed the old forum of desktopBSD, there was about 2000 registered members but now only 16. There is not any more information about current status of project, not active forum.

5. EchoD

EchoD Administrator
    Staff Member

57 is actually pretty good for an OS that hasn't been updated in several years, and that's only counting people who opted into reporting.

6. stan-sib

Yes that is fine. DesktopBSD OS Is very good: easy installation process, quick working. How long to wait for upgraded release? Could you write somewhat about this?

7. cycle_mycle

cycle_mycle New Member

Hi all!

I just registered on this forum for the express purpose of adding my 2 cents; I'm stuck in a situation where it seems (and to be fair emphasize "seems"), that Linux has taken away too many choices and is heading down a path I don't wish to go -- that is I am forced to use Gnome 3 or some other desktop I don't wish to use. I am aware that there are alternatives and MATE is looking like the best choice. My issue there is I still have to mix and match Gnome too much. And to stress my point, I just want to get work done, I don't want to be tinkering with and possibly breaking something and having to fix things again. Productivity is my one and only priority so if I have to relearn something, I would chose to go away from the direction I see Linux going.

Anyway, it would be nice to see DesktopBSD back in operation, I was kind of saddened to visit http://desktopbsd.net/ only to find it's not down-loadable -- or is it? I couldn't find a link.

So here I am giving a "+1" for getting DesktopBSD revived. I'll be checking back from time to time to see what progress has been made. Thank you!

8. stan-sib

It will be great to give working link to download desktopbsd iso file

9. jmdennis

jmdennis Member

I am glad to see this. I really liked DesktopBSD and thought it was so much better then PC-BSD. It had a much better way to do updates and every thing else. I have not used either in a long time as I was disappointed that DesktopBSD was no more and even the first revival did not happen. I have tried PC-BSD but still disappointed in it so glad for some competition. I look forward to a newer release and will try it out.

10. Rafael Bluhm

Rafael Bluhm New Member

I also think the same thing, word by word.

11. Neal Stone

Neal Stone New Member

So is it being revived or not? They update web site and then nothing.