Current status ?

Discussion in 'Development' started by conta, Apr 7, 2013.

1. conta

conta Active Member

Hello guys (and I mainly means developers),

i was wondering, was is the status of project?

We heard there is revival of dBSD, but nothing specific. So maybe someone can tell what is actually going on?

Like: are you preparing release or you are looking for devs (or what are you doing)? Who are current devs (if it is not secret)?

It's not like I am being rude or something, but people wanna know some background and what's going on. It can only bring more attention. And this is open-source, I guess, so should not be problem to share some spicy background details.

2. EchoD

EchoD Administrator
    Staff Member

We are looking for volunteer project managers and developers.

We are also considering adding new sections to this forum (such as a FreeBSD discussion, general Unix section, Linux/Android, etc) to liven up the forums and attract new users, possibly getting some volunteers from there.

In other words, we can use all the help we can get.

3. stan-sib

stan-sib Well-Known Member

Interestingly, how many developers have this project? if one or two, then releases will have to wait about one or one and a half years. Not good perspective, but anyway goodluck.

4. EchoD

EchoD Administrator
    Staff Member

Questions like this don't help with advancing the project. The forums are up specifically for the purpose of recruiting a team, and it will get as large as the number of (qualified) volunteers we will get.

5. stan-sib

stan-sib Well-Known Member

Some time ago I read that Kris Moore left only one developer of PCBSD if this information was true. And GhostBSD developing only 2 developers and have no problem. So good luck, go in and win!

6. Vasiliy

Vasiliy Member

I don't really need a new version, because the one I have installed on an old Pentium IV is still working very well.

But I imagine that working on this project would be good experience for developers who have never worked in a team on open-source before. They can probably get a lot of responsibility and hands-on work experience.

7. conta

conta Active Member

Any new updates?

It's been some time since announcement of revival

8. Progers

Progers Well-Known Member

Vasiliy: yes i would be great to try to develop project like this!

9. Michael Bear

Michael Bear New Member

Boy, this doesn't look good: it looks like the last discussion here is from 2013 and the last version of Desktop BSD was in 2015--am I wrong?

Look, I understand the difficulty of finding good devs and I'm not trying to add to your problems by being a jerk here. Just wondering: is this project still alive--or, is it on 'life support'? Will download your latest .iso (from 2015?) tonight. Best of luck to you all.

10. EchoD

EchoD Administrator
    Staff Member

@Michael Bear the project is not currently in active development, but the latest ISO is from late 2016, not 2015.

#10 EchoD, Jul 30, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
  11. dasouth

dasouth New Member

@Michael Bear I just installed the Lumina hybrid ISO version, with no issues installing it to my hard drive (I previously tried the other versions, and they would either not boot, freeze or not allow you to login).

After completing the installation, I rebooted my machine and was able to update the machine (501 updates). Since the latest ISO's are based on FreeBSD 10.3, you'll be able to keep updated til April 30th 2018.

12. Family Building

Family Building New Member

I have used it recently as my first ever BSD that installed on my older laptop without problems. I walked 120 miles with it in my backpack and the harddrive gave up, I lost all my data. My problem, not a dBSD problem. But the data is gone, and you know the pain. Summer is over and I got over the loss. I would install it again but not with KDE. Khere Kthere Keverywhere, thanks no. Lumina, well then well then.

Now
    If I was installing and using it again, I'd like to know some basic things, and participate in shaping this OS. What do I know about BSD that is not on ArchiveOS? There's FreeBSD, Dragonfly, OpenBSD, and there's now also PCBSD that's TrueOS. So there's quite a couple of functioning BSD's around, far better than a decade earlier. Based on FreeBSD, the central player of the BSD community. Now where is dBSD going, as a team. Before I install an operating system, I expect to get informed, what goals the majority of the team are working towards. Simply selling the platform, that ain't making sense anymore. Thinking beyond, yes of course I'd offer my voluntary support, like many others too, but only, if and that's important, but only if it's civil explicitely non military, it's anti nuclear, it's not hackers thinkpool, it's not a subsidary trunk of a speculative google project or going to be sold there, (it's not as clever as my last debian was and not as stupid as ubuntu was to me, both making me look useless in my own office), it's not it's not it's not, you know this list is endless. I have not had Mageia operating yet, but Mandrake 2011, and of all operating systems that I used recently, that was the dream to work with, and that had been discontinued 6 years ago, the dBSD 2.0 following second.

Again, with FreeBSD forming a solid foundation and TrueOS now taking the lead this year, what are the harbours that attract the dBSD developers to attract potential donors and users again?! Without that information, offering voluntary assistance is useless, because the system is going to run away it's own path as several previous had done in years passed. Noone is going to steal this idealism, if FreeBSD and TruOS are aware of this publication. My personal opinion.

Family Building
    Oliver Spaether

13. lordlux

lordlux Member

Hi Oliver - and Welcome here .
    Your words sound a bit cruel , but - I have anything for you.
    Have you ever heard anything from OpenIndiana ?
    Thats okay it's based on opensolaris and blah blah blah , but that distro , HAVE no focus , no sense of direction , none perspective .

Try to install and take yours own decision .

About your files - I'm sorry , but i have to ask.
    How did you perform your install ?
    What filesystem did you put on it?
    Was Bios Based ? Uefi Based ?
    Have you turn on disk crypto before installing ?
    Did you install from gui ? or from command line with "bsd install" ?

Depending on your decision , what happened to you , it was not a fail of system . But a wrong option set by you ....

I have a PC with dBSD 2.0 24/7 up , for almost a year - and Im very happy with it .

never crash . work all my apps , and believe me , it runs Age Of Mythology on Wine perfectly .
    Perhaps I may help u , set up a system correctly ?

If you wanna / need .
    I'm here .

Best Regards

Lord Lux

14. Family Building

Hello Lord Lux,

Many thanks for the correspondence.
    I have heard of illumos before, but take it as a public announcement, 'I have no clue'.
    When it comes to talking modern developers language, I'm out, had it, got the tshirt, happy to have no clue what's going on, got my own life and that's progressing daily, lack the ups and downs of the trends and what's needed and what's being paid. Forget it, I have no idea what we're talking about; faithfull.

Now, uni starts in a few weeks and I'm certainly interested to try out whatever I'm suggested to install, but not now. All appologies, but uni first.

Then, 'my decision', my decision is stupid, but it's not really, most people are more stupid than me, only you know more. My decision is based on what I can GROW from a system, and a community is cerainly better than a network. Good. What community would I enjoy growing in, and what's not my appetite. Gaming is not my appetite, though I know its weight in the industry. My castle in the cloud community is best described in a tart graph, and I won't want to do that here and now. But this is already an incentive to where any other community might not meet my requirements, line charts for example; though the matter could be the same. I can give you an example; the internet browser. Yes I use livechat more these days to coordinate my pre agreements than any other means of communication, and this requires an up to date browser. An up to date browser requires an up to date operating system, that again requires an up to date hardware configuration on an up to date computational fundament, such as the motherboard { I appreciate motherboard and harddrive to the cloud, as of our UK post modern state of internet communication infrastructure; [?!]}. Correspondingly, I am always working { sometimes programming } on a line of dual interactivity, even when I work using Googles Chrome; because the hardware defines the browser and the browser defines the hardware. I might think of installing an older system like Mandrake because I think it is paedagogically important, and operate a new browser in a new virtual machine, it is most likely going to crash; and so vice versa.
    And then I look at archiveos.org and find community representatives tipping years of their learning experience, only because they had been given a 5 years contract to work on another project. And that ain't correct. In 50 years from now we'll have MSc of Computational Recycling if we progress this pace, but we haven't got them now; it seems like a rewardless path to me.
    But my community does not want the latest TrueOS at the costs of a new laptop at £600, it wants the strawberry raspberry strategy and that to last until having completed their project, disregards of browser and connectivity issues. More people play silly games on silly social media these days than that's normal, but they own a £600 laptop because it's quick. But I could write this message to you in BTX Bildschirmtext code as well, that message would still reach you as I write it here. Think, where would you and I be with basic BTX Bildschirmtext these days, if it had not been taken from the market, would we be more wealthy or less. It is going to be very difficult for you to prove to me, that you would be less wealthy now. Because this comparision simply does not exist, I think. BTX Bildschirmtext had been designed as an early digital order enhancement for the German SMB markets, presumably a UK USA development.

To summon this up, what are the chances to HAVE an up to date modern operating system on the globalized market, they are small. And what are the chances to have an out of date operating system on the globalized market, they are high. Sensibly, where is the higher profit marge, at the up to date operating systems on the market, presuming that they make it. And where is the more guaranteed and stable growing profit marge, well at the out of date operating systems, because getting that done is completed with a public upload.

Now we've already described a community, because such knowledge is part of community development. You can transfer this reasoning to many collapses in modern developments, you are always going to find those that progress extraordinarily and those that basically treat themselves well in their own pace; not the rat race. My contribution to Environmental Management.

We have to accept, that there's certain things, that are not possible, in order to refine our own potentials and make things possible that we never though that these could be possible for us.

Wishing you all the best for the following month of August.
    Many thanks
    Oliver Spaether

#14 Family Building, Aug 17, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
  15. Family Building

Rethink { habbit of mine }
    Project Ideas come my way weekly like there is 'www.studentprojects.com premium
    Make Offer Minimum amount £7,768.80' available at Godaddies Registry Site. One could for example make a site, where it is suggested to use an os per life cycle of one project, then change. The main page could inform the potential user of the capacities of such a strategy, whilst the following archive pages would contain a list of osses, up to date, similar to archive os, and depict in word and supply listings, where these osses could be integrated, if design, engineering, languages, etc, instead of the contemporary 'other way round'. That'd certainly get this AutoSchrottIng normalized again.

That'd be the core talent development interface. To form the community base, you could use dBSD, as you used to. You'd have to get this idea represented together with a formal educational provider, e.g. devolved to Frauenhofer Institute, in order to keep the competition to a minimum.

That's as stupid as I am.
    Oliver

#15 Family Building, Aug 17, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
  16. Solnce

Solnce Member

Hi

If anyone would be interested in resurrecting the project and want to discuss options, please feel free to contact me slack000@gmail.com

Solnce