Compared to PC BSD and GhostBSD

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tankist02, Mar 13, 2013.

1. tankist02

tankist02 New Member

How DesktopBSD will be different from the existing desktop versions of FreeBSD? Why not combine forces?

2. conta

conta Active Member

desktopBSD was different before as well: mainly the way PC-BSD is making pbi packages and dBSD was using ports.
    But no idea what new devs will do ;] I am wondering myself.

3. rich4421972

rich4421972 New Member

In my opinion, the relationship between ports/binary and PBIs is not too bad. On PC-BSD, the user must still make hi/her own compiled PBI's fropm the ports tree. DesktopBSD sought to be compatible with FreeBSD while PC-BSD even follows a different release schedule than its parent BSD.

All in all, I think it is good to have the distinction because, under the hood, you still have to compile and build your own PBI's if you want your system to be customizable. What with the PC-BSD jails, you are kind of limited with how much you can work with your system.

4. stan-sib

stan-sib Well-Known Member

DesktopBSD was and is now better than these OSes. I have tried all 3 OSes. You can read Vasiliy post in General Question>Current Status?, and john825 post in Open Discussion>How May I Help. DesktopBSD should be saved as individual project.

5. jmdennis

jmdennis Member

I really liked the way DesktopBSD did things rather then PC-BSD. I was disappointed to see DesktopBSD no longer being updated. I never liked PBI's and never could get a PBI to build. I really hope that DesktopBSD will use the same tools as before just more updated. I can't wait to see a release even an alpha release I would love to test.

6. Mutt65

Mutt65 Member

I have tried both GhostBSD and PC-BSD (since the beginning on this one) and I have to say that 1) GhostBSD is nice, however I ran into multiple graphics card and display resolution on the two desktops and laptop I tried it on - very typical of an older FreeBSD installation issues (circa 5.x). PC-BSD is getting to the point where it's somewhat operable, however it's very slow to open apps on the desktop and almost seems to get "confused" when opening somewhat given apps like a shell or a web browser: their 10-stable (based on FreeBSD 10) is much better than their 9.2 release, however.

DesktopBSD runs as quick as a Linux install, which has always been an issue with me. It's a simple click and the app opens, no waiting as it's immediately responsive. I like this feature as it's always been one of my pet peeves when looking at BSD projects. In addition to DesktopBSD, OpenBSD is the only other BSD that responds as quickly using a GUI (XFCE on OopenBSD).

But not to start a flame, they are all mature in their respective areas and all further the BSD cause. That said, Theo and devs, Kris and company, etc., have all done great things with their projects. DesktopBSD was unique in many ways, and the apps offered, the quick responsiveness of the system, and the then-community-at-large made it unique at the time. I'd like to see this project rise from Peter Hofer's code base and become what it has the potential to become: a fantastic project with a supportive and dedicated community of devs and users.

7. Katlin MetaData

What will the new release use KDE, trinity, LXqt, razor-qt, xfce? I would think that they might go with trinity as their last release had kde 3 and the desktop looked good. Am I the only who likes the eye candy of the dead version?

oddman621 likes this.