Commercial desktop BSD

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Solnce, Feb 1, 2018.

1. Solnce

Solnce Member

What do you think, is it possible to have such in current IT world?

2. garthus

garthus New Member

Should be possible but the problem is with insurance and risk management departments in large companies who want to stay with Window products.

3. Solnce

Solnce Member

I do not think that it is worth target at corporate customers, for beginning it would be enough to offer product for desktop user. With successful history with desktop customer, you can start look at some small corporate segments. But still, I think that it is stupid to find MS, they are great company, & rich company & powerful company, so no chances.

4. Solnce

Solnce Member

I think that Linux never was developed with unprofessional desktop user (i.e. not the programmer, not system administrator or web developer) in mind and therefore fails to deliver smooth, consistent, well integrated, stable desktop experience (except for some very good examples, but these are more exempt than rule and no longer in development). What I think (that is my personal opinion, I am average desktop user, not hacker or developer) should work is to:

1. Make OS commercial.
    Not necessary paid or closed source, but make project to pay its costs. There are few ways this can be implemented. I believe that every project should have it is business model (in broader meaning, not just how to make money). It means that it has to set target audience, set ways to reach the audience, attract and manage resources, have time scale, manageable performance etc.

2. KDE as desktop environment, it is modern, beautiful, feature rich DE, not that Win 95 look alike. It really has very little to add, just take it, use it and enjoy it (yes, it is still buggy, but..) .

3. Calamares as installation tool -the same as KDE;

4. Rearrangement of filesystem layout (that is hardcore one):
    a) OS and third party apps are kept strictly separated (isn't already implemented in BSD's?)
    a) each program resides in its own directory i.e. /Programs/LibreOffice 4.0.2
    This is already implemented on Windows, OsX (at some scale), GoboLinux and provides many benefits in comparison to old layout. Among these are container-free virtualization, multiple versions of a given program can coexist, Self-contained programs: no need for a package manager, the whole system becomes intuitive etc. etc.

6. Visual Package Manager with options to buy commercial software or donate for free software (yes, absolutely like on OsX).

That is few of ideas....

What do you think? Am I crazy?