BSD .iso not booting?

Discussion in 'Support' started by fairlane32, Aug 7, 2014.

1. fairlane32

fairlane32 New Member

Hi,
    I downloaded the x64 version and burned it to a DVD-R disk from my mac pro, running 10.9.4.
    I just right-clicked the .iso file and chose burn to disk, but I can't boot to it on my Dell inspiron 1520 laptop. I have the BIOS set to look at the dvd drive first, but it doesn't recognize anything on the disk. I get no errors and eventually Windows loads. Any ideas? Do I have to burn the image using different tools (such as ImgBurn?) and make it bootable, or is the .iso file bootable already?

Thanks,

Phil

By the way...when will DesktopBSD 2.0 be available?

#1 fairlane32, Aug 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2014
  2. stan-sib

stan-sib Well-Known Member

You need use .iso writing tools to make bootable disk.

3. fairlane32

fairlane32 New Member

Thanks Stan, I was able to use Disco App for Mac and I was able to install the OS. Now I just need to find the laptop's wifi drivers since it doesn't recognize there's any wireless NIC card. I've read here that some have also experienced this; Do you think Dell would have a driver for it or should I put it on my wired network and have the package manager search for them?

Thanks again, ;)

P

4. kflexx

kflexx New Member

Hi there,

I tried a few bsd distros but my main problem is my wireless nic that's not working. I have a
    Centrino Wireless-N 2200 and it seemed many peoples from the bsd community have the same problem with it. I'm a linux slackware user who's exploring the bsd world. Is there any chance if my wireless network adaptor will be support on DesktopBSD 2.0.

5. Progers

Progers Well-Known Member

Hm, don't know, now i don't have time to work on the project. I think no, devs need too much hardware to make every wireless adaptor working. And yep, we don't have devs yet o_O

6. KyBlackwolf

KyBlackwolf Member

Kflexx, I know this is an old thread, however, I do believe your wireless nic will be supported with our newest offerings when released.

WARNING: Trying what's suggested in this link is not guaranteed to fix your issue, nor does anyone affiliated with desktopbsd guarantee following said guiance in the link will not brick your system. Use what you find there at your own risk.

Older Tips for this NIC found doing a search of "Centrino Wireless-N 2200 freebsd" on the web -

http://freebsd.1045724.n5.nabble.co...l-centrino-wireless-N-2200-BGN-td5750303.html