Home    Register   Search    Login

Board index » DesktopBSD » Open Discussion

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post Posted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:44 am 
Site Admin

The DesktopBSD project is in the process of being revived. If you have access to the old site or forum database, please PM me so we can fill in the gaps.

If you would like to volunteer and help with development and rebuilding the site, please post in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:47 pm 

It's good that DesktopBSD is back in business, it was my first *BSD "distribution". I'm waiting to see the new OS version. Good luck guys.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:12 am 

Uhm, obviously you have the forum permissions not set correctly yet. I can't create new topics in "General Questions", for example.

So I'll just answer here:

Welcome back, DesktopBSD team! I (as a volunteer FreeBSD porter and promoter) am glad to see that BSD is alive and kicking on the desktop as well. But DesktopBSD has never really reached my scope; how does this one (plan to) be different from PC-BSD which already has a pretty neat desktop experience with KDE out of the box? :)

Regards.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:31 pm 

Quote:
If you have access to the old site or forum database

what do you mean? anyway, this is amazing news!!!

Post Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:26 pm 

Cthulhux wrote:
Uhm, obviously you have the forum permissions not set correctly yet. I can't create new topics in "General Questions", for example.

So I'll just answer here:

Welcome back, DesktopBSD team! I (as a volunteer FreeBSD porter and promoter) am glad to see that BSD is alive and kicking on the desktop as well. But DesktopBSD has never really reached my scope; how does this one (plan to) be different from PC-BSD which already has a pretty neat desktop experience with KDE out of the box? :)

Regards.

This is up to the developers, but dBSD used to ba a FreeBSD compatible OS. Unfortunately, the way that PC-BSD is set up, one could break one's system through the installation of one or more ports or binary packages. A user must only install FreeBSD software within a jail. DesktopBSD, being compatible with FreeBSD (in the past) will not be compatible with PC-BSD.

If dBSD wanted to ally with one particular flavor, I would suggest Ghost BSD instead. Ghost is completely compatible with FreeBSD with the addition of a graphical ports manager and a python installation script.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:37 pm 

Ah, I see. Thanks for clarifying that.

Post Posted: Mon May 06, 2013 8:41 am 

On the DistroWatch.com site in the page of desktopBSD project, still not working links to home page and forums, and the project described as discontinued. Why the status not changed still?

Post Posted: Mon May 06, 2013 6:11 pm 
Site Admin

DistroWatch is a private site and we don't have control over their listings.

Post Posted: Mon May 06, 2013 6:14 pm 

You can submit change requests to distro@distrowatch.com.

Post Posted: Thu May 09, 2013 9:23 am 

@EchoD , you should send an email to distro@distrowatch.com and send this topic link to them. and wait for corrections :)

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Board index » DesktopBSD » Open Discussion