No network Interface found. Isn't there a driver for that Network Card?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Paolo Vincenzo Olivo, Jun 21, 2017.

1. Paolo Vincenzo Olivo

Hi everybody, I'm new to DesktopBSD.
    I moved yesterday from FreeBSD 11 to DesktopBSD because I wanted to try out something new and many were saying on the web that DesktopBSD was good. Indeeed Ichose it mainly because I was curious about something more desktop-oriented and TrueOS wouldn't obviously fit my old 2008 laptop (Acer TravelMate 5335), with his awful 32-bit Intel Celeron cpu.

Anyway, on FreeBSD I could connect to the web whether wired or wireless. There was the bge0 driver for may Broadcom 57xx Gigabit ethernet card, and I had created a ndis driver for my Broadcom 4325 wireless device, although the latter used to cause kernel panics from time to time.

I didn't expect to find a working wireless driver, but at least an Ethernet driver (That card always worked smoothly, on debian first, the on windows XP, even on ReactOS when I decided to try it).
    So I went to the network configuration menu, just to find out no network device was found. I then looked up on rc.conf and verified that no driver had been loaded at boot. Hence I used 'ifconfig' to see if DesktopBSD recognized bcm57, but the only output i got regarded lo0.

So, to sum up, since there is no point in having a computer without internet nowadays, anyone would like to try help me? Is there anyway to port bge0 driver to DesktopBSD? If I ever tried to take it from freebsd iso, is there any chance it will work if I put it into modules and load it in loader.conf?

If not I feel I'll have to switch OS again

I'm sorry but I felt kind of forced to post here since I couldn't manage to find any sort of handbook nor similar post about networking on DesktopBSD.

Thank you very much in advance
    I'm looking forward to receiving an answer ass soon as possible,
    Best regards

#1Paolo Vincenzo Olivo, Today at 12:15 PM