DesktopBSD 2.0 roadmap

Discussion in 'Development' started by malco_2001, Sep 21, 2015.

1. dinsdale

dinsdale Member

Okay, I'll change the language to be agnostic to where I features are coming from.

2. malco_2001

malco_2001 DesktopBSD Veteran

Without specifically mentioning what technologies will be used to accomplish them until we really know what is fully possible for the team:

fast boot
    improved service management
    automatic network configuration
    improved support for modern hardware (graphics & wifi)
    rolling updates
    hardened security
    ease of use
    large amount of software

We were formally based on KDE but are going in an entirely new direction to produce a mainstream modern operating system. Stay tuned, etc…

Please let us know what you come up with. I like what you had written otherwise, and look forward to the front page getting a needed update.

3. dinsdale

dinsdale Member

So do you intend to keep version parity with FreeBSD?

4. dinsdale

dinsdale Member

Rev 3

DesktopBSD 2.0 is a new spin on the FreeBSD operating system. The project is an answer to the existential question, "what is a computer desktop?". DesktopBSD is a viable alternative to GNU/Linux desktop software in the similar spirit of PC-BSD, GoshtBSD and MidnightBSD. We believe that FreeBSD is a top tier operating system with a vibrant, focused developer base. There are some exciting new branches of FreeBSD with awesome technology. DesktopBSD 2.0 seeks to harness the cutting edge technologies from all those branches - and many other sources - to bring the best possible experience for the desktop user.

Like most graphical operating systems, the focus of DesktopBSD 2.0 will be ease of installation and a modern look and feel. Other current focuses of the project are:

- Improved boot times from traditional BSD
    - Improved support for modern hardware, specifically graphics & Wi-Fi
    - Easy to use system management tools
    - Automatic network configuration
    - Rolling updates
    - Updated, hardened security
    - Well maintained index of user software

DesktopBSD was formerly based on KDE but the project is going in an entirely new direction for a fresh look and feel. We are currently evaluating many new technologies that could be used to meet our goal. That goal is to bring the best user experience to as wide a range of users as possible with as little licensing as possible. Our goal is to bring you our spin on the modern computer desktop.

Stay tuned, this ride's gonna be good..."

malco_2001 likes this.
  5. malco_2001

I intend to keep version parity with FreeBSD CURRENT as much as possible. I expect to approach packaging base by M3 if all goes well. M2 will be more of a hardware compatibility testing phase.

6. KyBlackwolf

KyBlackwolf Member

Dinsdale,

As mentioned before I like your style of writing. I hate to be the figurative rain on the parade again after you've put so much time into working on this, however, please consider the following edit.

Please remove that line as it's not a true representation of what we are. I believe including that sentence could have potential legal ramifications since we do use GNU desktop software...technically there is no "LINUX" desktop software... it's GNU...and Linux is literally just the kernel that allows the software to run. Perhaps you could replace it with the following.

" DesktopBSD is designed to provide a complete operating system with a specific goal of providing stable BSD based operating system optimized for desktop use. Our goal is to put you back in control of your desktop. "

7. dinsdale

dinsdale Member

I like it. Who is updating the website?

8. EchoD

EchoD Administrator
    Staff Member

Great job with fleshing out the description @dinsdale. Let's split this discussion into a separate thread. These ideas can be used beyond 2.0, and we can continue to introduce rewrites as the OS progresses.

9. stan-sib

stan-sib Well-Known Member

Sumptuously! Different areas and directions can be developed, when there will be more developers. I am very pleased with this project.

10. stan-sib

There is old WIKI. Is this file helpful, to write new one?

11. malco_2001

This might come be useful. Thanks for sharing.

12. enclle

enclle New Member

Hello,

Just a suggestion: why not use the Mate Desktop **just now** as it has support for FreeBSD? My favorite Linux distro is the Mate version of Linux Mint (http://www.linuxmint.com), it's simple, but really useful.
    If I would to use a *BSD system that not start with OS and end with X, it would be one like the Linux Mint MATE.
    After fully "upgraded", then you can start moving for "GNOME 3" and the hell.
    Here you can have instruction on installing it on *BSD (near the end of the page): http://wiki.mate-desktop.com/download .

Read https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MATE_(software) and http://mate-desktop.com .

Thank you.

#52 enclle, Dec 22, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
  13. malco_2001

GhostBSD offers Mate.

http://www.ghostbsd.org/

14. enclle

enclle New Member

I'll try it.
    So it's more easy than to copy from Linux Mint, just copy from it (GhostBSD), and go from there.
    Cinnamon version of Linux Mint is Gnome 3, but I don't like it, I prefer Mate.
    An interesting interface, is the one from Deepin Linux (http://www.deepin.org/?language=en), "Mac Os X like".
    If you will try it don't download directly from the site, too slow, but in the download page, click in the sf to download from SourceForge (http://www.deepin.org/download.html).
    Why you guys from GhostBSD and DesktopBSD don't join forces to create a common "default" desktop? GhostBSD as I saw offers XFCE as alternative to Mate, you can offer then your chosen Gnome 3 Desktop as the alternative to Mate.

malco_2001 likes this.
  15. malco_2001

Joining forces is always a good idea any time it can be done.

16. stan-sib

17. Angelescu Ovidiu

Angelescu Ovidiu Team Member

Hello
    What FreeBSD base should be used ?
    Last FreeBSD RELEASE or last FreeBSD CURRENT?
    Thank you ?

18. malco_2001

We have had more new developers join the project, and we have restructured our GitHub to remove conflicting stale work. Development is now rapidly progressing. The milestone issues were largely stale as a result, and we will be re-factoring those somewhere else to collaborate together more effectively. Please stay tuned, and we will update the out of date refs as soon as possible. Thanks for your interest.

19. stan-sib

I wish much success to all developers of DesktopBSD in the New Year.
    Will you plan recover DesktopBSD Blog? There is old Blog.

#59 stan-sib, Jan 1, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2016
    malco_2001 likes this.
  20. malco_2001

I think it might be a good idea for offering development updates.